The chorus of David Bowie’s iconic song “Changes,” starts with “Ch-ch-changes (Turn and face the strange).” This simple line sums up what most health and safety organizations are going through in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. The way of doing things has been shaken up.
Organizations without the right systems have been put into a state of shock and unable to operate properly. That brings to mind more lyrics from Bowie’s song: “My time was running wild, a million dead-end streets, and every time I thought I'd got it made, it seemed the taste was not so sweet.”
The need for information
Here’s a simple fact. You won't have an easy to access central repository without digital transformation or effective health and safety systems.
The pandemic has increased the necessity for a consistent flow of high quality health and safety data within your organization. Right now, some of that data is in paper files or documents, and some of it is being generated from sensors installed on equipment or from mobile devices.
How easy is it for your organization to collect this data so you can use it to proactively manage health and safety risks? Most likely, these outdated, manual processes make it extremely difficult. However, it doesn’t have to be this way. The right health and safety technology makes all this data is digitized which ensures that its flow, quality and consistency is improved, and with it residing in a central repository, it can be easily accessed, reported and analyzed. With a complete data pipeline, you can tackle three key areas that are critical to digital transformation and effective health and safety.
How effectively can you manage safety across your organization if you don’t have complete visibility of your compliance status? Insight into incidents, trends, root causes, and hot spots ensure that you know what is happening in real-time. Health and safety software supports visibility by:
- Giving your employees the power to report unwanted events immediately—anywhere, anytime
- Making interpreting data easy. Flexible visualizations display crucial historical data and help predict future trends
- Providing dashboards, which serve as a powerful and simple method of sharing important data in a format that is easy to understand, to all stakeholders
Administration, efficiency and cost savings
Good health and safety drives efficiency. The more effective the technology used by the EHS team and managers across a business, the more efficient the processes of carrying out and closing activities will be. So, ask yourself:
- How much time do you spend pulling together management reports each month?
- What about the time you spend progressing the actions on the activities you’ve been doing?
To paraphrase David Bowie, now that you’ve turned yourself to face you, you can start to see the inefficiencies in the system that can be refined and removed. Health and safety software can help. The predictive and preventative insights it delivers helps boost your efficiency, while engaging and empowering workers to make faster and smarter decisions which ensure the safest possible work environment.
How engaged are your people? If they aren’t engaged, nothing you do will really matter. The health and safety of your employers and contractors will plateau because you are not driving the engagement that provides the quality data you need for visibility.
Engagement does not have to complicated. In fact, you should strive to make it simple. Here are some ways to do that:
- Remove the inefficient, manual, paper-driven processes for managing health and safety to make it easy for employees to be involved and fully participate.
- Enable bidirectional feedback. Every single employee deserves access to participate and report safety information while understanding the difference their contribution is making.
- Use dashboards and league tables to ‘gamify’ employee engagement whilst improving health and safety performance.
- Ensure that inspections are regularly taking place and completed on time. More than ever, employees need the confidence that they are safe in the workplace.
The digitization of health and safety is no longer a “nice to have” or an initiative that can be put off to a later date. Digital transformation automates, integrates, and streamlines manual and disparate EHS processes while driving continuous process improvement. It is supported by best-practice, out-the-box health and safety functionality that is easily configured for your specific needs: forms, pick lists, process flow, permissions, reports, dashboards, and more.
If you have not yet adopted health and safety management software and digital platforms, now’s the time. It is the only way to weather a crisis while keeping everyone safe, engaged, connected, and communicating.
Learn more about how SHE Software can provide technology that supports digital transformation and effective health and safety systems.